WELCOME!
Please make yourself at home! I have a great many interests and enjoy writing about them from time to time. I also write some short fiction and appreciate criticism as well as praise.

The title of this blog comes from my own heritage: I am half Scottish (thistle), a quarter English (rose) with a dash of Irish (shamrock) and German thrown in for good measure. Also, it sounds very much like the name of some obscure pub one often encounters when traveling through the British Isles, so pour youself a pint and enjoy!

Monday, June 6, 2011

American Ghost Hunter: A Review

When I first saw “Paranormal State” on Netflix a few months ago, I was deeply impressed with the way in which the situation was treated: with understanding, respect, and most importantly, with a driving purpose to discover the truth, and help the clients.  Although my experience and knowledge of paranormal and supernatural phenomena is quite limited, I do believe in it.  9 times out of 10, I don’t see what people can gain from lying about what they experience. Now, of course there are natural and sometimes psychological explanations for paranormal activity, and these investigators always explore every avenue of possibility so that they may arrive as close to the truth and to a resolution as possible.

Shortly after I began watching, I discovered that a film had been made, called “American Ghost Hunter”.  All I knew was that some of the investigators from “Paranormal State” were involved and that it was directed by Chad Calek and that it was about his own family’s history.   I had not yet seen  the first episode of “Paranormal State” in which Chad is brought in as a guest investigator.  When the summer tour of “American Ghost Hunter” was announced, I was very excited. I bought my ticket within the first 20 minutes of their being put on sale, as I was certain the event would be soon be sold out.

As I continued to watch “PS” I was introduced to Chad, as a no nonsense kinda guy, and always appreciated and enjoyed what he brought to the team.  As the time for the tour grew closer, I did not watch all of the previews, etc that were put on the website, asI wanted to wait and experience the movie in its entirety and without and preconceptions and as few expectations as possible. I am an experiential movie watcher, not wanting to read reviews or watch previews before seeing the film for myself and coming to my  own conclusions.  Afterwards, I thoroughly enjoy watching previews and reading other peoples opinions, especially if they caught onto something I did not catch when first watching.
 I arrived at the Oxford Hotel in Denver shortly after 6:00 pm last night.  Purported to be the  most haunted hotel in Colorado, the Oxford was the ideal location for the event.  As I walked up the stairs and down the empty hallways, I began to wonder where everyone was.  Things were running late, and    with a few exceptions (4 or 5) more people did not show up until after 7:00 pm.  It was a very intimate affair and therefore very informal.

I have not yet mastered the art of writing a review while still maintaining some of the mystique of the film.  So, if you are reading this, and have or plan to have tickets fro the “American Ghost Hunter” tour, then I would advise you wait until after you have seen the film to read this review.

The film is about Chad’s family and the suffering and torment they have endured over the course of 20 + years at the hands of some kind of paranormal/supernatural entity. After his father has a burning accident at work (the doctors didn’t think he would make it) and Chad shattering his ankle, they move to the literal capital of nowhere: Persia, Iowa.  Currently the population is around 319.  It is not long after this that strange things begin to happen.  Chad hears loud bangings on the walls near his bed.His mom starts to exhibit strange behavior - her voice changes, she lunges out at Chad, and at times her face itself is unrecognizable to her own children.

I can’t really describe this film.  It is a powerful and emotional journey that one family takes to discover and if possible, root out whatever it is that has separated them from each other. Like any good paranormal investigators worth their salt, they go and look down every avenue of investigation.  There are moments that I found disturbing.  The sound of “The Lord’s Prayer” being said backwards is eerie and unsettling.  When Ryan opens up and tells Chad, and us about his own experiences (things I had not heard before) I felt sick. There were moments when tears ran down my face.  When Ryan tells Chad what he has to do in order to help his mom . . . right here. . . this is Ryan’s gift.  He takes it seriously, and he knows the score.  He knows what needs to be done, regardless of how terrible it might sound to those on the inside of the situation.  But then, that is part of why Chad asked for his help with this.  He knew he needed someone who could look him in the eye and tell him “this is what you have to do”. It is not easy to do what is right.  Especially when we are uncertain of the outcome. I am reminded of a passage from “The Lord of the Rings”:

“‘I used to think that the old tales and songs were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull, a kind of a sport, as you might say. But that’s not the way of it with the tales that really mattered. Folk seem to have been just landed in them, usually – their paths were laid that way. But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn’t. And if they had, we shouldn’t know, because they’d have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on – and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story call a good end…I wonder what sort of a tale we’ve fallen into?’ ‘I wonder,’ said Frodo. ‘But I don’t know. And that’s the way of a real tale. Take any one that you’re fond of. You may know, or guess, what kind of a tale it is, happy-ending or sad-ending, but the people in it don’t know. And you don’t want them to…You and I, Sam, are still stuck in the worst places of the story, and it is all too likely that some will say at this point: “Shut the book now, dad; we don’t want to read anymore.’”

Just as Frodo and Sam and the other members of the Fellowship, so the AGH team, led by Chad and Ryan didn’t give up, they didn’t turn back, they just went on. Because they did, they made this one of the tales that really matters.  And now, they are sharing it with us.

They could not have chosen a better way.  The evening I spent in their company in Denver was a night I shall never forget.  In a close and intimate setting, they shared some of the most compelling evidence I have ever seen that supports whet I have always believed to be true: that there is an unseen world going on all around us, and it usually happens when you least expect it, or at least when your camera is not in the right place.  I know, and now understand what Chad said before the film about how strange it is to share something so intimate with others.  How brave as well.  Ultimately, what one is left with at the end of this film is the dee[p sense of camaraderie between the members of this team, and a sense of peace and accomplishment.

Speaking on a personal note, at the end of the movie, Chad says that part of the message is that we all have some tragic event in our lives, and we should not hold it in, as his mother did for so many years.  As he said this, I was reminded of my mom, who died when I was 14 years old.  I never talk about her, except to my family on occasion.  I read a book years ago called Motherless Daughters, which was good, but I still have never opened up about her, for that I need other people and not just myself. I don’t talk about her because it seems that most people are uncomfortable with what they don’t understand, like Ryan’s mother not understanding what was going on with her son when he told her about what was happening to him.  I have, however, decided to join a local Motherless Daughters group and I hope to work through some of the pain and anger I know I still harbor inside myself with other women who do know what the death of a mother can do to a girl as young as I was.  If I were to take nothing else away with me from this experience, “American Ghost Hunter”, that alone, would have been more than enough.

I want to say Thank you to the entire AGH team for your support and dedication to this project.

Thank you Ryan for having to  be the “bad guy” and truly be a rock upon which Chad could obviously count on.

And finally, thank you Chad for having the courage to face this and to help your family, and bring some resolution into your lives.  And especially for sharing it with us, and with me.  It was a deeply moving and powerful experience that I shall never forget.

I wish you all the best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment