WELCOME!
Please make yourself at home! I have a great many interests and enjoy writing about them from time to time. I also write some short fiction and appreciate criticism as well as praise.

The title of this blog comes from my own heritage: I am half Scottish (thistle), a quarter English (rose) with a dash of Irish (shamrock) and German thrown in for good measure. Also, it sounds very much like the name of some obscure pub one often encounters when traveling through the British Isles, so pour youself a pint and enjoy!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Lure of the Phantom ~ Part Six

Dream Journal: Day 2
           

It’s very dark and I seem to hear a voice slowly coming through the inky black mist.  Of course it is Erik, the Phantom, and I am hearing him through Christine.  He is teaching her, rehearsing rather, as she is preparing for her first big night.  (I must mention that the dreams never come in any particular order).   I open my eyes and find myself in the dressing room, usually reserved only for most important of the cast.  Christine has obviously risen up in her singing ability, thanks to the tender and loving care that Erik has taken to help shape her newfound voice.  At first her voice is a bit shaky, but then, as she listens to Erik and sings along with him, her voice gains confidence and I feel like I have been ushered to the gates of heaven to hear such an angelic duet! Suddenly, however, there is a knock on the door, and not only does Erik’s voice abruptly stop, but Christine’s voice falters as she glances at the door, a look of fear on her face.
           

She opens it, and we find Meg standing there with a peculiar look on her face.  I feel quite sure that she heard Christine, and only her.  Anyway, so Meg looks at Christine and asks, “Are you sure you want to do this?” (Secretly wondering if Christine is going to botch this up like she did the dancing. I think she thinks this, I can't really tell.  I never really liked her character anyway.)  Christine takes one weary look towards the gilded mirror, then looks back at Meg, straightens and says, “Yes, Meg, I can do this, I shall be ready in a moment.” Meg smiles slightly and says, “Alright.  Good Luck Christine!  If anyone deserves success it’s you!  You have been working so hard recently.  I hope it all goes well!” And she and Christine hug. 
          

As Christine closes the door behind her, a sigh of relief comes forth from her lips.  She is then startled by the reflection of Erik in the mirror.  “You will be a triumph, Christine, you are being trained by the Angel of Music, you have nothing to fear or worry about.”  He then begins to sing as Christine goes behind her partition and dresses for the performance, all the while being lulled into a feeling of confidence and security.  By the time she is finished, and comes out from behind, she sees and hears that Erik is no longer there, and she quietly leaves the room, locking it on the way.
           

Now, I am once again in the audience and once again I have no clue what opera is being played (I have never really been into opera anyway…).  So, we skip straight to Christine’s performance and it was magnificent!  I looked around at the audience and could see that they were as entranced as I was by her voice.  Then I noticed Raoul, in Erik’s box! I could certainly tell that he was enraptured!  I wanted to yell at him to sit back down, or her would be falling out of the box!  But just then, the song ended and the applause of the audience was deafening!  Christine looked so happy! When I awoke, I had tears in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment