WELCOME!
Please make yourself at home! I have a great many interests and enjoy writing about them from time to time. I also write some short fiction and appreciate criticism as well as praise.

The title of this blog comes from my own heritage: I am half Scottish (thistle), a quarter English (rose) with a dash of Irish (shamrock) and German thrown in for good measure. Also, it sounds very much like the name of some obscure pub one often encounters when traveling through the British Isles, so pour youself a pint and enjoy!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Revelry of Riverdance

The beat pulses through you, long after the final step has been danced, and the final note played. It thrums through your heart, surging and overpowering your brain. . . You can’t sit still. It is completely impossible. You wonder in amazement at the talent! The precision! WOW! When you discover that these are world champions in dance, you realize that this is real dedication! They have been doing this since the age of 3 or 4. They have worked, and striven to get to the top of the world of Irish Dance. They have competed around the world, and against each other, but now they dance united on stage, bringing the phenomenon of Riverdance flowing throughout the country. They say this is the Farewell tour. Next summer they head over to Asia before finishing. . . But will it really and truly be the end of this incredible show that has captured the hearts and feet of the world? Do you have to be Irish to appreciate this experience? No, the pulsing of the music and dance flows and moves forward, like a river, and it captures the imaginations of young and old, Celt and European alike, etc.


I took Highland Dancing when I was a teenager and performed with the Denver Pipe Band for two years (including their yearly St. Patrick’s Day show, Finnegan’s Wake). I wore the soft shoes, called gillies, which are also worn by the Irish dancers for their soft shoe dance. I had to pass examinations for the British Association of Teachers of Dance, and received my bronze and silver medals. I remember when my family first heard of Riverdance and procured a video copy of the original show, with Michael Flatley, Jean Butler and Marie Pages. I had not watched it in some time, but I knew that I had to see this show live, and that this was going to be my last chance. I remembered that there were parts that I did not like when I was younger, but after seeing the show live last night and watching it as a whole story that tells the history of Ireland and it’s people (as well as that of other cultures too), I realized that there was nothing in the show that I really did not like. From the Irish Dancing (whether it be hard or soft shoe) to the Flameco! Which is incredible!! And the tap dancers duking it out with the Irish when they arrive in America. Then there are the Russian Dancers!! All together they tell us an amazing story:


From scene one: Reel around the Sun when “the sun brings life and light and fire, the opening dance sequence celebrates this benevolent masculine power. The sun is the light of morning, exuberant and clear.” To the Finale, the show takes one on a journey through the mists and myths of old Ireland, and follows the people as they struggle with the earth, and oppression. It follows them in Act 2 through the sorrow of parting and the discovery of a new life and the promise of freedom in America. It shows that cultures begin to learn from each other and blend together. Generations later, the descendents return to their homeland and discover: “We are one kind. We are one people now, our voices blended, our music a great world in which we can feel everywhere at home. Ni neart go chur le cheile, together we are strong.”


It was an incredible experience that cannot be equaled, and having so much Celtic blood flowing through my veins, I feel the call of the music, the beat of the rhythm and the longing, aching hope to see my homeland again.


Ultimately, of course, our true homeland is that of the Kingdom of God. May we all find our way there.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment