WELCOME!
Please make yourself at home! I have a great many interests and enjoy writing about them from time to time. I also write some short fiction and appreciate criticism as well as praise.

The title of this blog comes from my own heritage: I am half Scottish (thistle), a quarter English (rose) with a dash of Irish (shamrock) and German thrown in for good measure. Also, it sounds very much like the name of some obscure pub one often encounters when traveling through the British Isles, so pour youself a pint and enjoy!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Lure of the Phantom ~ Part Seven

Dream Journal: Day 3
          
 Last night I dreamt that I was in Erik’s lair.  It was lit completely by candlelight and was surprisingly light for being several stories underground.  I remember looking around and being completely taken aback, for it looked just as I had imagined it.  It made my imaginations seem more like memories.  I looked around and saw that this was truly the home of a genius.  There were drawings everywhere, and they were not just architectural, there were also landscapes, and people and places I had only ever dreamed about.  He was showing them to Christine and telling her about all the wonderful places he had been to in his travels.  You could hear him choke back emotion as he looked at her.  He was truly opening himself up to her, allowing her to see the depth and the beauty within.   She was in complete awe of this man who seemed to know everything.  She asked many questions and they sat there and talked companionably for a long time.  This struck me as somewhat odd. I had never thought that they had had an actual relationship. I had always thought of it being more of an obsession on his part and a fascination on hers. 
          

As the thought became clear in my mind and began to take shape, I realized that Christine had abandoned Erik’s drawings and was now going over to the organ to look at his most recent composition.  She walked over and picked up a sheet of music, then turned her head to look at Erik.  He came over and told her that that was the great work he had been working on for years, and that it always gave him trouble.  He could not quite get it right. Christine asked if he would play some of it for her.  He looked down at his work and hesitated, but the hesitation did not last long when he looked back into her hopeful face. He sat down and began to play.  As the music swept over me, I felt that all my troubles were nothing and that I could be happy forever if only I could listen to that music always.  Christine too, looked as though she could listen forever…then, suddenly, Erik hit a note that completely ruined the melody and looked down sadly. 

“I can never seem to get this part right.  For some strange inexplicable reason the solution eludes me.”  Christine came over to look over his shoulder and began to hum the melody softly until she reached the trouble spot and found the perfect note.  Erik, who had been looking at her with a look of complete and utter devotion (the look was so intense it brought tears to my eyes) suddenly began to hum along with her as, together they finished the composition in perfect unison. Just as they finished, they looked up at each other, and for a moment it seemed as though everything had fallen into place. 

Suddenly, I was no longer in the underground lair but back in Christine’s dressing room, as a sudden knock came to the door. 

“Christine? Christine, are you all right?”  There was no denying that voice; yes it was Raoul.  Christine slowly went to the door and opened it.

“Raoul, I am not accustomed to receiving visitors at this hour, what do want?” Raoul came in with an odd look on his face and looked around the room as if someone else were there. 

“Wasn't there someone in here with you?” He asked, still looking around the room.

“Why no, of course there isn't anyone else here Raoul.  What on earth are you talking about?”

“I could swear that I heard a voice.   A man’s voice!”

“Don't be silly Raoul.  Do you honestly think I am the type of lady to entertain male visitors in my dressing room?  Now please do leave and I shall see you tomorrow.”  Raoul finally looked at her and I could tell that he sensed that she wasn't telling the whole truth, but since she had said that he could see her tomorrow, I think that was good enough for him, at least for now.  He took her hand in his and kissed it.

“Till tomorrow then.”  And he turned and left as Christine closed and locked the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment